How to Choose a Therapist
It is important that you develop a good relationship with your therapist, and that you are comfortable talking to them about your most personal concerns. For this reason, it can be challenging to choose a therapist that is right for you. To help you out, here are a few things to look for when looking for a therapist:
- They are warm and easy to talk to.
- They have experience working in the area you are interested in.
- They are compassionate and strong.
- You trust in their abilities.
- They have the credentials to practice in the area they are working in (i.e., specifically trained in family therapy, PTSD, DBT, etc.).
- They demonstrate honesty and integrity.
- It is clear that they are empathetic and open-minded.
- They instill you with the confidence that they can guide you out of your comfort zone and see you to a different and healthier place.
- They are focused on goal-setting and results.
Remember that it is good to know whether or not your therapist is a good fit for you, and that a phone chat with them beforehand may be a good idea. Be clear on what you’d like to work on, and remember why you’re looking for a therapist.
Cristofer Chan & The Inner Solutions™ Team.